The Jackfish Lake Management Association serves as an unofficially a community league for the area, and, as such, has undertaken a wide range of activities since its inception to foster community spirit. This has included community garage sales, a summer BBQ and dance, entertainment evenings, and beach parties. Other events have included a canoe and paddle boat poker rally; a winterfest featuring skating, shinny hockey, fishing derby, hot dog roast and bonfire; and a summer family fun day including cardboard boat races and food trucks. A highlight is the annual summer fireworks show in mid-July that is funded by the Association together with donations from members.
The JLMA association also owns a large party tent that can be rented by association members.
In the interest of community, we also encourage crime prevention and urge residents to keep an eye on each other’s property, report all suspicious activity to the RCMP, and take precautions against break-ins and theft. Here are some tips to avoid being targeted by a break-in:
- Be a hard target: install locked gates, window bars, deadbolts and good-quality padlocks.
- Lock up all items left outside including canoes, kayaks, bikes or ATVs. This includes securing trailers with hitch locks. Lock boats to docks or boat lifts. Do not leave keys on site.
- Remove valuables from your cabin if you are closing up for the season. Place valuables out of sight when you are not around.
- Install a security system in your cabin/ garage/ shop.
- Ask your neighbours to keep an extra eye on your property and offer to do the same for them.
- Remember that over the winter months thieves may approach your property from the lake, so ensure that access points from the lake side of your property are secured.